A question I get asked a lot in Thailand is: "Are you afraid of ghosts?"
I usually answer no, because I don't believe in them. (I found out later this is not so polite to say. Thais say, "You don't have to believe in spirits, but you should respect them. So now I just say no.)
No matter what my answer is though, the ghost story(ies) that follow are sometimes funny, sometimes chilling, always interesting:
A ghost said to a monk, "I'm not afraid of you, but I am afraid of your clothes. So if you take off your clothes, I'll fight you man to man (so to speak)." The monk agreed and took off his robes. Another (hu)man happened to be passing by. But he couldn't see the ghost; all he could see was a naked monk fighting thin air!
Can you imagine this guy ghost fighting?
Two men were driving at night and happened upon a young woman trying to hitchhike. How lucky for us, they thought, because they had ill intentions in mind. But as they slowed down to let her in, she pulled off her hair and her face came off with it! Underneath was the grinning skeleton of her head. They sped off and never try to pick up anyone anymore. (Serves them right.)

Guess she's not just in Thailand. She's also on Ind. 25, wherever that is. Beware.
A woman from a Karen (hill tribe) village nearby claims she has a brother who is a spirit in a stone. When their mother gave birth, the baby came out as a stone. When he wants to talk, he enters the body of his sister and speaks through her. The body is that of a woman, but the voice is a man's. The stone says he was brought here to help the Karen people.
Some people in my community believe this story and some people don't. Either way, some soldiers captured the woman and the stone and put them both in jail.
The End

No comments:
Post a Comment