Saturday, February 21, 2009

Oops...

I've been a bad blogger... :(

Korea has made my English suck so it takes me longer to write out my thoughts which makes me reluctant to take the time to sit down and write. Vacation has made me lazy about updating, and so much has happened since it started but as I put off writing, the more I have to write about, the longer it takes to write and the less I want to do it... The vicious cycle of procrastination.

Where should I even start?

I guess I'll try it Memento-style - start from the end and go backwards.

U.S.A. - Home Sweet Home
Came back to the U.S. to do interviews for Teach for America and JET. (Don't ask.) Teach for America's interview was a day-long marathon and JET's interview reminded me of how much my Japanese has deteriorated. Preparing to be part of America's unemployed next year...

Saw a lot of friends that I haven't seen for half a year. (Felt old.) Funny who you end up keeping in touch with. Even met up with a Japanese friend from Kansai Gaidai who happened to be in New York at the same time.

Saw a lot of family including cousins who are now living on the East coast.

Got robbed in New York? Opened my wallet and all my cash was gone but they left me the wallet itself and all my cards...? (Again, don't ask because I don't know either.)

Seoul
Did a 4-week internship at the U.S. Embassy in Seoul. SO much fun. Did a presentation on Black History Month and one on Pocahontas/ Native Americans (except I kept saying Indians, haha) at American Corners in Busan and Gwangju. Went on trips to Paju and Heyri Art Valley with the DCM (who is like the vice-Ambassador).

Met up with some people who studied abroad with me at Kansai Gaidai in Japan and are now teaching in Korea as well. Small world. We're all Americans but haven't even met up in the U.S. yet.

Chinese New Year
Chinese New Year (although I have to be more careful and say Lunar New Year in Korea) was in the middle of my internship. Went back to Pohang to celebrate it with my host family. Celebrated it Korean style. Then watched 꼿보다남자 (Korean drama) with my host brothers (and the rest of country that is in love with that show).

Hong Kong
After a slight mishap in Busan coming back from Japan (see below), made it to Hong Kong to meet up with my mom, dad and aunt. Spent a couple days there seeing the sights (although there wasn't too many touristy things to see besides a laser/ light show at night and the peak tram), did a lot of shopping and A LOT of eating.

Japan
Traveled around Japan after buying a JR pass in Korea (the exchange rate killed my bank account but I figured might as well make the most of it). Arrived in Hakata by ferry, stayed with a friend who just had a baby (SO cute!), went to Osaka where I used to live and spent Christmas with my host family - my host sister just had a baby too. Met up with a lot of friends I'd known while studying abroad and even some Lehigh people in Tokyo. Spent New Year's Eve a friend and her husband. Celebrated Japanese style - went to a shrine, rang the bell and got an おみくじ to tell me how my luck with be in 2009. (It told me I'm supposed to be lucky but with how things have started out so far I guess I am going to be REALLY lucky over the next 10 months to even it out...)

That just about takes me back to where I ended last time! That's the barebones of my vacation although I realize that it would have been a bit more interesting if I had gone a little more in depth about things that happened. More on reflections on 2008, highlights of 2009 (so far) and New Year's Resolutions next time! And I promise it won't take 2 months before I write the next one! (although I think I say something like that every time...)

No comments: