Friday, August 22, 2008
Pohang (포항)
As of Monday, I moved into my new home in Pohang! We live in an apartment complex (one of many) 10 minutes from 포항대흥 Elementary School where I'll be teaching. My host dad drove my principal and co-teacher to Yonsei University in Seoul to pick me up. My host mom is an amazing cook and when I told her samgyeopsal (barbeque pork) is one of my favorite Korean dishes, my family took me out for a samgyeopsal picnic by the river in Yeongcheon. They have two sons who attend the elementary school I'll be teaching at. One of them is studying in the Philippines for the year so I won't be seeing much of him but my other host brother is home and is usually "studying and playing" (his response when I ask him what he did or will do for the day). His cousin is in middle school and is also staying at their place until school starts for her. Sometimes I play soccer with them at the elementary school. Classes don't start until September 1st so I won't be teaching until then. My co-teachers have been very welcoming. One of them took me around Pohang after I first went to visit the school and meet some of the administrative staff and the other teachers. Pohang is a suburb of about 500,000 people on the east coast of Korea. It's famous for POSCO the steel industry and POSTECH one of the top science and technology universities in Korea. (It's kind of like Bethlehem...) I still have a lot of exploring to do while I'm here. Unfortunately there won't be any pictures with this post because my laptop can't access the internet at my host family's house so I'm just using their computer for now. More pictures and stories to be posted later!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment