
After that, we got in the pool with all our clothes on (I learned that people don’t wear bathing suits in

This week was the last week of Taekwondo classes. On Monday we were tested for yellow belt which involved going over the moves we learned in group of five in front of the kwanjangnim and the rest of the class. Needless to say, everyone passed. The rest of the week involved learning a routine of twelve steps which goes along with getting the yellow belt.


On Tuesday I actually twisted my ankle pretty badly. I did it right in front of the kwanjangnim because we started sparring and I didn’t really know what I was doing so I was hopping around trying to kick and then back away and landed on my ankle. I’ve never twisted it that badly before, but it's in the process of getting better. I went back for the last class on Thursday though (and made a fool of myself messing up the form we learned in front of the class). After class, we went out for dinner and patbinsu (a dessert that is a mix of fruit, red bean, shaved ice and ice cream) with the kwanjangnim. It was pretty cool getting to know our teacher outside of Taekwondo. He told us if we want to continue at our placements, just give him a call and he will get us in contact with a Taekwondo academy in our area. Our translator told us the kwajangnim has a seventh level black belt. Every province has a Taekwondo "master" who is the best in the province and that's our kwanjangnim. He's also part of the Taekwondo Association! Talk about making connections...
Yesterday we went to the DMZ which was an outing hosted by Hwacheon’s county officials. On the way there we stopped by a tomato festival in Hwacheon and they gave us shirts and we joined in a random parade.

We took a boxes of tomatoes home with us and they actually taste pretty good, sweet, even though I usually don’t like eating tomatoes by themselves. At the DMZ, it’s actually really beautiful there because people aren’t allowed to go in there so there’s a lot of untouched nature and wildlife. One of the tour guides told us if we took one step into the DMZ, we would probably be shot.
No comments:
Post a Comment