Friday, September 9, 2016

Thailand and Myanmar

Belated post:

I escaped the snowstorm that hit the east coast in January by taking a trip to Thailand and Myanmar. I spent my time in Thailand catching up with friends in my Peace Corps village and Bangkok. I was a little worried it might be weird to be back but it was easy fitting right back in and felt like not much time had passed since I left!

I stayed in the same little house I lived in while in Peace Corps service. I had put a Peace Corps poster up on my door nearly five years ago - it was still there!


While going to Thailand was like a relaxed trip at "home," I had some adventures being a tourist on a one-week trip to Myanmar. Myanmar had been at the top of my list since Peace Corps because most people at my site are originally from there. It was a good balance of time spent with friends who now live in Yangon and Mandalay and backpacker trips in Inle Lake and Bagan. Here are all the fun pictures from my trip and, of course, the food pictures:

Shwedagon Pagoda, Yangon
Tea leaf salad, one of my favorites
What's strange about this picture?
Fishermen - the classic picture of Inle Lake
Sunrise over Inle
Boat tour, approaching one of the floating towns
All the boats docked at the floating market - there is one every weekday at a different part of the lake
I made a friend at one of the pagodas!
Shan noodle soup
Samosas and tea at a tea shop in Nyaungshwe
Hot air balloons over Bagan
So many temples in Bagan!
The big temples were fun to visit, but the best views were from the top of smaller temples
National Kandawgyi Botanical Gardens at Pwin Oo Lwin 
Feeding bananas to the takin
Sunrise at U-Bein Bridge
Some thoughts and travel tips:

It was interesting to hear from my friends how the country had changed over the past several years. Yangon, for instance, was one huge traffic jam from 8 am to 9 pm. Since the import tax on cars was lifted around 2013, there has been an influx of second-hand cars from Japan (hence the "What's strange about this picture?" where cars drive on the right side, but the driver also sits on the right side, not the left!), but motorbikes are not allowed in the city. Taxis seem to be the most convenient way to get around, but there are no meters, so you negotiate the fare for each trip.

I also found that while I could get away with passing as a local in Thailand, the people in Myanmar were much more shrewd and could always tell that I was a foreigner and therefore had to pay the foreigner entry fee for pagodas, temples, and other sites. Perhaps it's because most people - men and women - still wear the traditional longyi (like a sarong), especially when going to the temples/pagodas.

And speaking of foreigner entry fees, there is one for the "Inle Zone" ($10) and one for the "Bagan Archaeological Zone" ($20 or 25,000 kyats as of October 2015). I somehow managed to skip the Inle one because I was the only non-local on the bus. I had booked all my buses through Oway because I had one week to see 4 different cities and wanted to make sure that I would be able to get to all of them, especially since I was traveling in peak season. It turned out I could have booked most of mine upon arrival, usually for a cheaper price, but at least for the bus from Yangon to Inle, it paid off. I've heard the Bagan entry fee is almost impossible to avoid now.

No comments: