I made it to Europe! The first time I'd left Asia in over two years, and then went right back again - to the Asia side of Istanbul - for dinner. After 5 days in Istanbul, I traveled south to Ephesus, famous for its ancient Greek/ Roman ruins and then to Bodrum, a town on the southern coast before heading to the Greek islands.
Turkey
Istanbul
| Spring tulips in bloom |
According to the Turks, the tulips that Holland is famous for originally came from Turkey.
"The History of Tulip from Turkey to Holland:" http://www.kokachi.com/tulip.html
| Hagia Sophia: formerly an orthodox church, now a mosque |
| Sultanahmet aka Blue Mosque |
| Inside the mosque |
All women were required to wear headscarves which were provided at the entrance. The mosque is closed during prayer time but I made it just in time to get a couple minutes inside. During prayer time, outside, I could hear the call to prayer echo between Hagia Sophia and the Blue Mosque which are only 1km from each other.
| Basilica Cistern |
| Ferry on the Bosphorus |
Back to Asia again a couple days later, this time by accident, when I took the wrong ferry.
Ephesus
View of Selçuk, the nearby town, on our walk to Ephesus
|
| ||
| Latrines: where people used to do their business Better than squat toilets in Thailand? |
| Amphitheater |
| Şirince, wine village |
| Wares at the local market |
Bodrum |
| The port |
| Buildings by the sea I'm not sure who lives here but they must get wet! |
There's no food photos in this one because there are so many they'll be in a separate blog post just for food.
No comments:
Post a Comment