Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Marijuana and Beethoven

Last week, Pohang Cinema changed its name to Lotte Cinema, so they gave out free tickets for two days. I wanted to take my host brothers with me, and because of after school tutoring they were only free between 5 and 8pm. Also, you can only see certain movies with these tickets. There was only one movie playing at 5pm called 말리와나. I sounded it out to myself - Mar-ri-wa-na... Marijuana? And it's a movie for 12 and up. I thought, What kind of movie called Marijuana could be appropriate for 12+?" I walked up to the counter to order tickets.
"6 tickets for Marijuana," I said.
The lady at the counter looked a little confused, but then she got it when I pointed to the poster with movie times for the free tickets. "Oh ok, 6 tickets for 말리와나?" (My Korean kind of sucks.)
Just to be sure, I wanted to ask her about the movie. I started to ask "Is this movie really about drugs?" But then I thought I shouldn't phrase the question that way so I said, "What kind of movie is this?"
Her answer was something like "ㅁㄴㅇㄽㄷㅈㅂ거든요.ㅎㅈㅠㄴBeethovenㅈㄷㄱㅎ이에요."
I walked away with my tickets and went to meet my friend with this information: "We're watching a movie about Beethoven (like ba-ba-ba-buumm Beethoven) called Marijuana for 12+ year olds."
"I thought we were watching Duplicity." (Before I realized the free tickets were only good for certain movies, we had wanted to watch Duplicity.)
"Nope. We're watching Marijuana."
Then, after a couple seconds, from marijuana and Beethoven, she somehow managed to figure out: "Oh, it's Marley and Me!"
(Told you my Korean sucks. But don't tell me you wouldn't have thought the same thing if you had seen it.)

+ =

2 comments:

cricket said...

hahahaha that's hilarious

Kate said...

hahaha. you made my day.